Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Wow! I bought this book to read while I was traveling but got roped in and finished the book before my travels even really got under way -- each chapter leaving me curious to what came next. I read deep into the night (although I should have been packing and cleaning) and then finished it waiting for the first leg of my trip the next morning. I thought the book was a courageous, compelling telling of one family's story. While I didn't have the same experiences as the author, she did an excellent job of putting enough detail on different levels that I am sure many readers,like myself, will be able to connect with the story and the struggles. Silly superficial things like the gold shell/bear/lion belt buckles, oversized glasses, and three musketeers bars at the pool snack bar made me smile and transported me back to those days. Other things like her sister being the bossy big sis made me cringe --that was my role in life. Her various descriptions of living in her household brought tears to my eyes because to a certain degree, that was my life.
I read a lot of books about families and family dynamics (both fiction and non-fiction) and usually walk away with some new understanding or lesson. After finishing this book, I found it hard to get into the next two books (both fiction, and both very good books -- Memory Keeper's Daughter and Vanishing Acts). I guess life can be stranger (and much more powerful) than fiction! I thought Lifeguarding was terrific!
Click Here to see more reviews about: Lifeguarding: A Memoir of Secrets, Swimming, and the South
Click here for more information about Lifeguarding: A Memoir of Secrets, Swimming, and the South
0 comments:
Post a Comment