Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Jill Bialosky mentions in this book that she would like to provide a legacy for her sister, Kim, and she delivers in this exploration of the most difficult question we face when we lose young people whom we love: WHY? The story is narrative that flips back and forth through time and employs Kim's diaries and compositions to examine how Kim came to the irrevocable decision to take her own life in 1990 at the age of 21.
The writing in this book comes straight from the author's heart. She elaborates on how her sister's suicide forever changed their entire family and how she herself has managed, with varying degrees of success, to keep her survivor's guilt at bay. Bialosky also discusses some of the additional heart-wrenching losses that she suffered after her sister died and how they have impacted her as a mother and wife. She also employs literature (Plath, Melville) and scientific examinations of suicide to help her relate with human beings through history who have given this area a great deal of thought. I will be honest and say that I found the entire book to be terribly difficult to read due its searing emotional content. I am very lucky in that I have not suffered a loss like Bialosky has. I am not sure I would be able to cope and survive as she has.
Because I have not experienced something like this, I find it difficult to guess how those who have would react to this book, and I leave that to other reviewers who have been through it. But to a reader who has not been directly affected, this book explores a lot about human nature, psychology, and survivorship to make it well worth a read. Just keep a box of tissue nearby, and be prepared for some deep introspection.
Click Here to see more reviews about: History of a Suicide: My Sister's Unfinished Life
Click here for more information about History of a Suicide: My Sister's Unfinished Life
0 comments:
Post a Comment