Patricia Highsmith: Selected Novels and Short Stories Review

Patricia Highsmith: Selected Novels and Short Stories
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I listened to the audio version of this via audible.com, and I have to say that it sort of permeated my experiences for the 27 hours that I listened to it over a month or so. My interest was piqued by the opportunity to read "Strangers on a Train", having seen the Hitchcock film many times. The collection starts out there, and continues through short stories, some of which I thought were really surprising, observant and human. "The Price of Salt", the other novel in the collection, I felt really was the highlight. PH's writing is so detailed in its description, I felt like I was experiencing the world of 1952 along with the characters. It must have been very important for gay and lesbian readers almost 60 years ago to read such a truthful and sweet story of two women in love. I hadn't expected to find "sweetness" in PH's work.
PH deserves to be read, and I plan on doing much more of that.
The readers on the collection are excellent.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Patricia Highsmith: Selected Novels and Short Stories


"Patricia Highsmith's novels are peerlessly disturbing . . . bad dreams that keep us thrashing for the rest of the night."—The New Yorker
The remarkable renaissance of Patricia Highsmith continues with the publication of Patricia Highsmith: Selected Novels and Short Stories, featuring two groundbreaking novels as well as a trove of penetrating short stories. With a critical introduction by Joan Schenkar, situating Highsmith's classic works within her own tumultuous life, this book provides a useful guide to some of her most dazzlingly seductive writing. Strangers on a Train (1950), transformed into a legendary film by Alfred Hitchcock, displays Highsmith's genius for psychological characterization and tortuous suspense, while The Price of Salt (1952), with its lesbian lovers and a creepy PI, provides a thrilling and highly controversial depiction of "the love that dare not speak its name." Patricia Highsmith: Selected Novels and Short Stories firmly establishes Highsmith's centrality to American culture by presenting key works that went on to influence a half-century of literature and film. Abandoned by the wider reading public in her lifetime, Highsmith finally gets the canonical recognition that is her due.

Buy NowGet 27% OFF

Click here for more information about Patricia Highsmith: Selected Novels and Short Stories

0 comments:

Post a Comment