Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Of all Thomas Perry's books, this was his least attractive. I'm a HUGE fan of Perry, so much so that every 2 years I reread all his books. Unfortunately "Death Benefits" was weaker than those preceding it and "Pursuit" is even weaker. I'm trying to think if I would have felt differently had I not read all of Perry's books beforehand. I don't think so. Since I get annoyed with reviewers who say "there's much better out there" and fail to make suggestions, I'll recommend the late Ross Thomas' books starting with "Briarpatch" and of course Perry's books prior to the last two.
The entire book dragged. The killer might be called psychotic (I believe it means they can't tell the difference between right and wrong), but I believes he does, he just doesn't care what is right or wrong. The killer's history isn't interesting but we're exposed to a plethora of it. The minutea of his life doesn't enhance my knowledge of his character, especially since he's certainly not a sympathetic character.
The title describes the story. However the biggest disappointment to me was the careless fashion in which the pursuer constantly and incompetently lets the killer get away. Why there wasn't a poison gas canister in the trap in Buffalo, why there wasn't a source of lethal electricity in the house in Minnesota, amazes me. Granted hindsight is 20/20, but we're talking about the pursuer having weeks to plan. Finally, there are a minimum of 4 unnecessary deaths of probably good people before the pursuer follows the course of action he should have in the first place.
I'm sorry, this book started well with a nice set up that appeared to be a contest of cleverness, and dragged into a plodding story in which I just wanted to get it over with.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Pursuit: A Novel
0 comments:
Post a Comment