Tracking Apollo to the Moon Review

Tracking Apollo to the Moon
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I've been researching and writing about spaceflight history since the early 1960's and have amassed a library on the subject of several hundred books. I do not know Hamish Lindsay personally, so I can be objective in my review, but when I was told about a book he'd written as someone involved in tracking the Apollo flights from Australia I thought it might have been interesting but probably overly technical. The reality is that this is a brilliant book, and both the author and publishers have combined to bring us one of the best and most vividly illustrated stories ever of the space era I grew up in. The text is divided into engrossing vignettes detailing all of the manned spaceflights as well as many of the more spectacular robotic missions, and Hamish is an extraordinarily good story-teller. The fact that it is told from an Australian viewpoint is refreshingly novel, but this should not deter overseas readers - rather, it will intrigue them. I found many excellent stories and quotes new to me in the text, and it is certainly an exciting new reference book that I will refer to often. Many Apollo-era astronauts have contributed their memories to the book, and the glowing introduction by Chris Kraft is essential reading before embarking on the text. It is obvious that Hamish sought to use many photos never seen before in his book (quite a number in brilliant colour), and these are used to wonderful effect. On first reading I could only find three very minor errors, and one of these is a typo, so there has certainly been some meticulous research,writing, and editorial work done before publication. In essence, I am truly overwhelmed by the work and love that has gone into this book, and both the author and publishers deserve credit for a truly magnificent job. It will become a classic among space books.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Tracking Apollo to the Moon



Buy Now

Click here for more information about Tracking Apollo to the Moon

0 comments:

Post a Comment