Cold Choices Review

Cold Choices
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Let me say up front you would be hard pressed to find someone who enjoys submarine thrillers more than I do...unfortunately finding one that is really well written is easier said than done. I've been fortunate to have discovered what seems to be the majority of authors who actually have some talent in this area...Larry Bond comes with a writing history that rivals pretty much anybody, beginning with his co-writing credit (according to Tom Clancy) on 'Red Storm Rising'. Since then an impressive collection of military-themed novels have been produced, some great, some good and only a small number not worth mentioning...
Being the sub fan that I am, when 'Dangerous Ground' came out I picked it up rather quickly (I actually received an advance copy to be honest) and loved how it began...but as well told as it was, it simply grew slightly then entirely boring. I totally grew disinterested in the characters after about page 250, and it was sheer will that got me through the rest of the book. I was monumentally disappointed to say the least. Larry Bond had written some downright page-turners in his time, and was this a glimpse of what I could expect in the future? I am happy to say that the answer is NO.
'Cold Choices' has everything the prequel lacked--mainly an exciting and thrilling story that very seldom lets up. The title turned out to be amazingly fitting for just how difficult the job of sub commander really can be. What about the choices of a real-life submariner who (rarely) is involved in a mid-sea collision? Do they honor the decision from back home and leave immediately (or as quickly as the ship will allow), or do they stay and against direct orders do the RIGHT thing and stay and help, all the while risking the lives of every man on board? Cold Choices indeed.
One MAJOR prop to Larry for portraying almost frighteningly well what it feels like inside a submarine stuck underneath thousands of tons of cold water. It became almost difficult to breathe in a few parts (kudos again to Larry for the writing chops to pull that off) knowing just how dangerous the situation was, and yet keeping the tension high enough that you almost HAD to continue in order to find out what happens NEXT.
THANKS for making me glad I took a gamble on this one...it was WELL worth it. I look forward to more in the future. Congratulations.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Cold Choices



Buy Now

Click here for more information about Cold Choices

0 comments:

Post a Comment