Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I'm one of the biggest Veggie Tales fans on the planet and was very excited to see this. My sons are ages 8 and 5 and they are thrilled with the new Bibles, but I see some big draw backs.
1) The print is in blue, and not a dark blue either so it's hard to read.
2) The font is too small for young readers and that combined with the blue letters makes it too hard for me to read, and at this point, with my kids ages being younger, they keep pointing to things and asking me to read it. The book is pretty thick (it's a full Bible with old and new testaments in the NIV) so if they did larger print it might be too big of a size, but at least doing black ink would have helped with the readability even with the smaller font size.
3) Although the cartoon comics are very cute and bright and it draws the kids attention, they are in the wrong place! For instance, the Jonah comic story is located in Ezekiel chapter 40. Why didn't they put it IN the book of Jonah where it belongs? While the book of Jonah has NO comics at all in it, but rather a picture at the beginning of a female character I don't even remember seeing in the Jonah movie. They could have put the Jonah comic story at the beginning, middle, or end of the book of Jonah so when the child reads that in the Bible the cartoons are in the right place telling the same story, rather than being buried in Ezekiel! You'll also find the "Rack, Shack & Benny" story (about Daniel's three friend) right smack dab in Isaiah, when the true story is in the book of Daniel! Then turn to the book of Daniel, and you guessed it, nothing - zilch - nada - no comic story at all. I thing that's kind of weird.
4) If you thought the medium to light blue print was hard to read in the text, wait till you see the text numbers. They are much smaller and harder to read and buried in the paragraphs. My eight year old son with good eyes has a hard time finding a text when I tell him to look it up.
5) Not a good example grammatically. At the top of every page where the have the book listed, it is in all small letters. So Matthew looks like "matthew" and Mark looks like "mark" and Luke looks like "luke" and John looks like "john" and Acts looks like "acts" which was very confusing for my son who is learning proper capitalization at this age.
6) I ordered two straight from Amazon and when I opened the box, they had both been damaged from being bumped around. One was really bad and I'm having to send it back, completely torn down the spine on the inside of the front cover.
I guess if you can get by all of those draw backs and can read it, there are some cute quips throughout. As for my sons, they are thrilled with it but too young to see the draw backs I see. I'm sure later in life they will pick up on the same issues. My littlest one is heart broken that I have to send his back. So while I think they had a great idea, it could have been done much better. I'm still a huge Veggie Tales fan though!
Tracy M. Parish, CPRW
Certified Professional Resume Writer
Click Here to see more reviews about: The VeggieTales Bible (Big Idea Books Veggietales)
Grow with the Bible Veggie-style!Join Bob, Larry, and all the rest of the Veggie characters as they explore the most amazing book of all time. Filled with fun features, children will learn more about God and how he wants us to live.Veggie Stories feature 8 full-color, best-loved Bible stories as told in the VeggieTales videos, including Dave and the Giant Pickle; Rack, Shack, and Benny; and Esther, the Girl Who Became Queen.Book Introductions give important information about each book of the Bible.Veggie Values teach lessons from the Bible like God made you special, God loves you very much, don't be afraid, be kind to others, forgive one another, and many more.Remember This highlights 100 key verses of Scripture to remember.Also includes: A Dictionary-Concordance that helps kids better understand key Bible words and concepts The complete text of the New International Version: the most read, most trusted translation.
Click here for more information about The VeggieTales Bible (Big Idea Books Veggietales)
0 comments:
Post a Comment